Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What To Do? College Football Players Make Life Changing Decisions

"Should I stay or should I go"?

No, I'm not talking about the classic rock song by The Clash.  I'm talking about college football players who have just finished up their junior year of eligibility.  They have to decide whether they are going to stay in school for their senior year or forgo their final year of eligibility to enter the NFL Draft. 

This is a monumental, life changing decision in their lives.  So, in order to help those players make their decisions, the NFL established a Draft Advisory Board.  This board is made up of General Managers and Personnel Directors from several NFL teams, along with the Directors of the two NFL scouting combines. 

Eligible players will submit their applications to the advisory board sometime in December and, once they receive the Board's decision, have until January 15th to decide if they are going to enter the NFL Draft or return to school.  The Board issues a decision that the player has the potential to be picked:
  • in the first round
  • as high as the second round
  • as high as the third round
  • after the third round
  • in no round at all
Four notable players from the state of Michigan are currently contemplating this decision.  Le'Veon Bell, William Gholston, and Dion Sims from Michigan State and Taylor Lewan from Michigan have all submitted applications to the Board.  The Board's projections for these players is as follows:
  • Taylor Lewan (offensive tackle) - in the first round
  • Le'Veon Bell (running back) - as high as the second round
  • William Gholston (defensive end) - as high as the third round
  • Dion Sims (tight end) - as high as the third round
These players will take this information into consideration when making their decisions.  They will also gauge the opinions of family, trusted friends, and coaches. 

Not to toot my own horn, but I consider myself a bit of an NFL Draft guru.  If any of these players asked my opinion, I would STRONGLY encourage all of them to enter the NFL Draft.  A solid argument could be made though that they should stay in school to earn their degree.  I understand it completely, but I also disagree with it wholeheartedly.  These kids can always go back to school and earn their degree (I got mine when I was 33 years old).  They only get one chance to make it in the NFL. 

No comments: