Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Oh No They Didn't!

The Major League Baseball Hall of Fame class of 2013 was announced today.  It was an eagerly anticipated vote considering the fact that three players who could be considered the cover boys of the "Steroid Era" were eligible for the first time.

Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Roger Clemens were all eligible for the first time and, not surprisingly, none of them achieved the required 75% of the vote to gain entrance into the Hall of Fame.

The BBWAA (Baseball Writers Association of America) not only kept them out, they kept EVERYBODY out this year.  Yes, you heard me correctly...NOBODY was elected to the Hall of Fame this year.  For only the eight time in history, not a single player received enough votes.

To be honest, we all knew that the steroid guys weren't going to get in (at least not anytime soon).  Most of the other eligible players that weren't associated with steroids probably weren't getting in either.  Guys like Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell were great players, but when I think of them I don't see Hall of Fame.  I just don't.  One guy that I do see as Hall of Fame worthy is Jack Morris.  Morris only received 67.7% of the vote (he needed to have at least 75%.

The fact that  Morris isn't in the Hall of Fame is mind boggling.  I've already stated my case in a previous post about Morris's candidacy.  This time, I'll let Jack Morris himself do the talking...

Jack Morris on why he thinks he belongs in the Hall of Fame - "I don't know how to defend this. I really hate to have to do this. There is a growing trend of guys who are caught up into this numbers deal: WHIP and RIP and ZIP. I don't know what it all means. I know this: I threw more pitches, got more people out, had more complete games, did all the things starting pitchers are supposed to have done, than anybody in my time. I don't know what else to say.  I can honestly say I will go to my grave saying, "I can play at the level of anybody who played the game."

I couldn't have said it better myself...JACK MORRIS FOR HALL OF FAME INDUCTION IN 2014!!


No comments: