Will he stay or will he go?
No, we are not talking about Brett Favre (thank goodness). This time, we are speaking about Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo.
Izzo is mulling an offer from the Cleveland Cavaliers to become their new head coach. Reportedly, Izzo and his family spent this past weekend in Cleveland where the Cav’s wined and dined them. Even though there was a contract offer made, Izzo has yet to decide if he is going to take them up on their offer. When questioned about it, Izzo simply stated that he was “still undecided”.
To help out Coach Izzo, I’ve decided to give him a list of Pro’s and Con’s on leaving Michigan State and going to the NBA.
- He’ll be making a lot more money
- No more summers spent on recruiting trips
- Lebron James
- The challenge of coaching in the NBA
- Nothing left to prove in at MSU
- He is a living legend in East Lansing
- NBA players may not respect him
- Lebron James may not resign with Cleveland
- He has a team coming back this fall that is a favorite to win a championship
- College coaches are notoriously bad in the NBA (Pittino, Calipari, etc.)
When it is laid out on paper, I feel that the con’s outweigh the pro’s in this case. Even if Lebron James resigns with Cleveland, I believe that Izzo would still be better off staying in East Lansing.
By staying with Michigan State, Izzo will be in a job where he is one the best at what he does. He has 100% job security and is paid very well for what he does. He is a living legend in East Lansing and will go down in history as the best coach MSU has ever had. It is a perfect situation for him.
By going to Cleveland, he will be at the bottom of the totem pole amongst NBA coaches. He will be paid well for what he does but there will be no job security. The expectations will be so high for him in Cleveland that it will be darn near impossible for him to succeed.
When you look at it like that, the decision seems pretty simple…doesn’t it?