Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Complaint Letter to ESPN

I’ve noticed that since President Obama took office, ESPN has been constantly looking to him for opinion in the world of sports. At first I thought that this was a little inappropriate, but I overlooked it. Unfortunately, this trend has continued. So I am taking it upon myself to write a letter to ESPN and voice my displeasure in what they are doing.


ESPN
Attn: Complaint Department
ESPN Plaza
Bristol, CT 06010

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Matt Musk and I am here to complain about your love affair with President Barack Obama’s opinion on sports issues. I am a sports fan, and while I respect the office of the President, I do not care if he has an opinion about where Lebron James should be playing next season.

I think that it’s great he is such a passionate sports fan. However, when it comes to sports opinions, he is no different than you or I.

When Obama first took office, you took it upon yourself to ask his opinion on whether or not college football should have a tournament. While this is a topic worthy of discussion, I really do not need to know what the President thinks about it.

While most of America was filling out their NCAA tournament brackets in 2009 & 2010, you felt the need to send a reporter to the White House and air a special on Obama making his tournament picks!

When Lebron James played what could be his last game for the Cleveland Cavaliers last month, you decided that the American people really need to know where President Obama thinks Lebron James is going to play next year.

This past Friday, after college basketball coaching legend John Wooden passed away, you felt that it was appropriate to ask President Obama to give his thoughts on Wooden and what he meant to the game of basketball. Why? It would have been a different story if Obama had played for Wooden, but he didn't. The highest level of basketball Obama reached was high school, just like you and I.

ESPN used to be a place where sports fans would turn to get their daily dose of sports knowledge. Unfortunately, many of us (me included) have turned to other media outlets to get this information. ESPN has become way too commercialized for the normal sports fan. We do not care what our President thinks about the spread offense, or which team will win the World Series this year.

If sports fans want to hear the President speak, then we will tune into our local news. When we tune into ESPN, we want to hear about sports from people that are in the business of sports.

Sincerely,

Matt Musk

No comments: