Thursday, October 15, 2009

Predictions Sure to go Wrong

Everybody likes to think that they can predict the future. It’s exciting. In a weird sort of way, it makes you think that you have supernatural powers. Some people attempt to predict the future for money, like gamblers and people that play the stock market.

I like to predict the future in sports. Lately, I have not been very accurate in my predictions. I was sure that the Boston Red Sox would make it to the World Series. However, I have come up with a list of things that I believe will happen in the next year in the world of sports. So, without further adieu, here they are in no particular order

- Lou Pinella will not return to manage the Chicago Cubs next season…Ryne Sandberg will
- This season will be Chris Osgood’s last as a Red Wing.
- Michigan will defeat Michigan State in basketball for the first time in years.
- The Washington Capitals will win the Stanley Cup.
- The Boston Red Sox will trade at least one of their most popular players this off season.
- As much as I hate to admit it, the New York Yankees will win the World Series.
- The Detroit Pistons will lose in the first round of the playoffs, fire their coach again, and Joe Dumars will name himself as head coach.
- Jim Leyland will resign midway through the 2010 season from the Detroit Tigers.
- Michigan football will go to a mediocre bowl game this season, but challenge for the Big Ten Title in 2010.
- Dick Jauron will be fired as coach of the Buffalo Bills before the end of the calendar year.
- Next year at this time, the following teams will have new head coaches in the NFL; Houston Texans, Carolina Panthers, Oakland Raiders, Tampa Bay Buccanears, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Rams, and Tennessee Titans.

So there they are. My predictions for the future are not something that you should go and bet your bottom dollar on. I didn’t look into my crystal ball or consult any tarot cards. They are just gut feelings that I have.

On October 15 of 2010, I will re-post this article on my blog to see how well my “sports visions” are.

No comments: