Thursday, March 19, 2009

No, the pictures above are not the latest Abercrombie & Fitch ads. They are of none other than NY Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez posing for Details Magazine.

Now, I've got no problem with people doing magazine cover shoots. It happens all of the time. With that being said, I'm just wondering who approved these shots of A-Rod? They just give me the heebie-jeebies. Was the empty room/bare mattress/tire decor supposed to make Rodriguez look tough? It didn't work.

Also, what's going on with that mirror? The pictures of him laying on the mattress looking longingly into it make him look like he's WAY too into himself. If Rodriguez was loving himself any more, these pictures would have to be in a different magazine. Even Tyra Banks would say that he's gone too far.

Let me just say, kissing yourself in the mirror is really weird. Even Manny Ramirez would say these pictures are strange.

I don't know if A-Rod has a PR person or not, but if he does, he needs to fire them and hire whomever Derek Jeter has. Jeter is someone who gets photographed a lot. He has been in hundreds of magazines. I'd bet my bottom dollar that he would never approve of being in a shoot like this.

In a strange way, I feel for A-Rod. He can't win. No matter what he does, especially now, he will never be thought of like Derek Jeter is. On the other hand, he brought all of this on himself. He took the steroids, he signed that massive contract, he decided to re-sign with the Yankees, and he is the one that ultimately makes the decisions about what he says and does.

I remember a classmate of mine in college. He was a die hard Yankees fan and I was (and still am) a Red Sox fan. We naturally traded jabs with each other all semester. Before class one day, I asked him what he honestly thought of A-Rod. With a straight face he said, "We'll never win a championship with him".

That sums up A-Rod for me...he'll never win.




1 comment:

The Witteveen said...

Is he Gay? That's not insane!