Monday, March 16, 2009

The Madness is upon us!!



With yesterday being Selection Sunday, it meant the kickoff of quite possibly the greatest few weeks of the year for sports.

It's NCAA tournament time folks! It's the time of the year where every office has their own bracket. It's where fans feverishly study the teams in hopes of picking this years Cinderella story team that will help them win their office pool. Unfortunately, it's the person in the office that has never watched a basketball game in their life that quite often wins. They usually pick their brackets by the color of the teams jersey's, the school mascot, or something like that which drives hard core sports fans crazy.

As for me, I'm not going to be putting any money into any pools this year. I've tasted success before (I won $500 in a pool with a previous employer) and have also lost a fair amount. Sure I'll enter a few free pools just for fun, but this year I'll be wagering against my wife. The prize is dinner out. If I win, then I get to pick the place. If she wins, then she will decide where we go. Either way though, I will win because I enjoy a night out.

I'm hoping that this will be an easy win for me, but my luck the past few years is telling me otherwise.

With that being said, I'd like to share a few tips that I've learned over the years. Some have helped me, and others haven't worked so well.
  • In at least one of the four #12 vs. #5 games, pick the #12 team.
  • At least two of the #1 seeds are not going to make it to the Final Four.
  • Most of the Big Ten teams will lose their opening round game.
  • No matter how carefully you pick your brackets, Gonzaga will screw them up.
  • Flip a coin to decide the #8 vs. #9 games.

I have more tips, but I've decided that since my wife reads these articles, I'm going to keep the rest to myself. Good luck to all in your picks!

No comments: