Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Damn Yankees!!!


I was just laying on my couch watching television. It was a wintry day, I had just had a hot lunch, and I was very comfortable. The television program that I was watching went to a commercial, so I decided to check ESPNEWS to find out if anything had happened in the world of sports that I should be aware of.
Then I saw it.
BREAKING NEWS...THE NEW YORK YANKEES SIGN 1B MARK TEIXIERA TO AN 8 YEAR DEAL WORTH AT LEAST 170 MILLION...
I felt like throwing up.
The Yankees, the team that has already spent $234 million on 2 pitchers, has just dropped another large sum of money on the most sought after position player on the free agent market. Roughly, that's about $400 million on three players!!!
I really thought that the Red Sox were going to land Teixiera. All along, they were mentioned as the front runners for his services. It was reportedly down to the Red Sox and the Nationals. I was okay if Teixiera were to sign with the Nationals, it would just say to me that he was more about money than about winning. I felt like if Teixiera wanted to be on a winning team, then he would sign with Boston.
I should have known that the Yankees were going to do this. All along, the "experts" would say that the Yankees have interest, but they haven't even extended an offer to Teixiera. Apparently, they swooped in at the last minute and got their new first baseman.
Luckily for the Red Sox, they still have a really good team going into 2009. But, with the Rays bringing most everyone back from last years squad and the Yankees breaking the bank while putting together this years team, I hope that the Red Sox will be able to improve in some areas before Opening Day. I'm only a fan, but I'm hoping that they can add a starting pitcher (Derek Lowe?) and possibly a big bat to protect David Ortiz (Adam Dunn?). If Mike Lowell can come back from his injury plagued 2008 and Josh Beckett can rebound to his 2007 form, the Sox will be right in the thick of things by playoff time next year.

No comments: