Monday, September 15, 2008

The weekend wrap up



This past weekend was a wet one for football around the Midwest part of the country. Everywhere I looked, baseball games were getting postponed and football games were sloppy messes. Needless to say, I expected to see some sloppy football, and I did.

I knew that Michigan vs Notre Dame was going to be an ugly one. Michigan turned the ball over 6 times during the game, and 4 of them turned into points for Notre Dame. Nobody is going to win a game playing like that.

I've read some articles stating that Michgan football is dead and Notre Dame is back. Let me tell you, Michigan football is not dead. They are just in a rebuilding phase. They are an extremely young team learning a new offense. I hate to use this phrase but, "Wait until next year". Luckily, there were a few bright spots. Freshman Sam Mcguffie looks like the real deal at running back and quarterback Steven Threet looks like he's going to take the reins as the full time starter after Nick Sheridan came in for two offensive series and promptly threw 2 interceptions.

Notre Dame fans, do not believe the hype that your program is back on track to a national championship. Yes, the Irish are 2-0, but they beat a mediocre San Diego State team in week 1 and then beat a pathetic Michigan team that couldn't hang onto the ball in week 2. When Steven Threet passes for more yards than Jimmy Claussen, you've got a problem.

Now, let's get to my predictions from the weekend. Last week, I finished a modest 9-6. This week, I was 3-1 on my college picks (I only missed out on Michigan/Notre Dame). My gut said that Notre Dame was going to win, but I let my feelings get in the way and picked Michigan (stupid!). My NFL picks were great. I finished with a record of 10-4 going into tonight's game with Dallas taking on Philadelphia. So that gives me a season total of 3-1 for college games and 19-10 for NFL games.

Upcoming this week is the Boston Red Sox taking on the Tampa Rays in St. Petersburg. Going into this series, the Sox are trailing the Rays by only a game in the division. Daisuke Matsuzaka takes the mound for the Red Sox and Scott Kazmir for the Rays. This is the last time that these two teams will meet in the regular series and it promises to be a good one!

No comments: