Thursday, September 18, 2008

Seriously?


Lions president Matt Millen held a press conference today after the teams workout. I really don't have the words to describe it. All that I can say is that I'm glad to be a Kansas City Chiefs fan.
On the state of the team:
"I believe in the guy I hired (head coach Rod Marinelli) and I believe in the staff we put together and I believe in the players we have on the field. If you want to point a finger at anybody for that stuff, it's on me. I'm fine with that because I believe in what's out there.''
We'll see if he still believes in Marinelli if this train wreck called the Lions 2008 season continues.
In retrospect, did you have too much confidence in the ability of the defensive players:
"Do what you're coached to do and play to your capability and we'll be fine. I still believe that and that's not going to change.''
So, is it the players not doing what they're being coached to do, or are these players playing up to their capability and that's just not good enough? Who's fault is it Millen?
About irate fans after the team's 0-2 start:
"I guess I wouldn't be surprised, I really haven't thought about it. I'm more concerned with this (pointing to the workout) than any other part.
What he's saying is that he doesn't care about what the fans think. He just wants to make sure that his team practices well.
Has it taken too long to build that foundation?
"Since I've been here, sure. Obviously. Like I said earlier, I'm the one who hired the guy and I believe in him 100 percent, I believe in him now more than I ever have. That guy is exactly what you need.''
Like I said, we'll see if he still feels that way when the Lions continue their downward spiral.
Why (continue believing in Marinelli)?
"Because he's consistent. You see that and it's not changing. He's a straight line. He'll do what he believes is the right thing to do and what he's doing is the right way. The players we picked we did for a reason, the same reasons still exist. The staff is in place for the same exact reason.
I agree with Millen one point. Marinelli is consistent. He has a consistent 10-24 record as head coach.
Have you talked to owner William Clay Ford:
"Yeah, sure, all the time. You'd have to talk to him, but here's my take - he has high expectations. When you have high expectations, you also get frustrated, too, and there are answers you want, too.''
High expectations? Really? No, really?
There it is Lions fans, your team president. The man that has given you a 31-83 record during his tenure and turned the Lions into the laughing stock of professional football. Until William Clay Ford and Millen are gone from the team, this will continue.
"That's why I'm fine with it. What we're doing is the right thing to do.''
-Matt Millen, 2008

No comments: