Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ochenta y cinco, not ocho cinco

People change their names all the time. When my wife and I got married, she legally changed her last name to mine. People also do it for religious reasons. Cassius Clay legally changed his name to Muhammad Ali. And now, Chad Johnson is now legally Chad Ocho Cinco.

"It's something I don't think anyone has ever done before," he told the team's website. "Have I ever had a reason for why I do what I do? I'm having fun."

Are you kidding me?!? I had heard rumors of this happening, but disregarded it because he has a history of being a big talker, but never backing it up. For example, this past off season he requested a trade out of Cincinnati and threatened to sit out the season if his demands weren't met. The Bengals stood their ground and Johnson, excuse me, Ocho Cinco, showed up at training camp.

This little publicity stunt reminds me of the movie Big Daddy with Adam Sandler. In the movie, Sandler's character is taking care of a child for his roommate while he is gone on business. Sandler has never had a child before and tries to appease the kid by saying that he could be called whatever he wanted. The child chooses "Frankenstein".

Chad Johnson, I mean Ocho Cinco, is basically a little kid. He is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL athlete. A lot of people have nicknames that they like. I see hundreds of people that play slow pitch softball that have their nicknames on the back of their jerseys. But I don't think that any of them have the nerve to change their name to it. Do you think that Charles Barkley would officially change his name to Charles Round Mound of Rebound? How about David Ortiz changing his name to Big Papi Ortiz? Or if Vinnie Johnson became Microwave Johnson?

Finally, if you're going to change your name, at least do it correctly. For those of you that don't know Spanish, ocho cinco means 8 5. Ocho Cinco wears number 85 (eighty five). If he wanted to be correct, he would have changed his name to Ochenta y cinco which means 85.

Grow up Chad. Your silly little publicity stunts are not doing your credibility any good at all. All that you should be concentrating on is catching the football and scoring touchdowns against the Ravens on Sunday.

No comments: