Sunday, August 17, 2008

End of an era? (I hope not)


The Atlanta Braves placed Tom Glavine on the disabled list yesterday, effectively ending his 2008 season and possibly his career.
I really hope that this is not the end for Glavine. He has always been one of the "good guys" in major league baseball. Glavine, along with John Smoltz and Greg Maddux, was part of a dominant pitching staff that some would argue to be the best that baseball has ever seen.
Tom Glavine helped revive a city known for baseball mediocrity for years. The Braves won a record 13 consecutive division titles, went to the World Series 5 times and won it once. Glavine won the Cy Young award twice and was a 20 game winner 5 times during this decade.
He was also a part of a hilarious Nike commercial entitled "Chicks dig the long ball". Watch it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=191cXzNjJtQ
If this is the end for Glavine, I hope that it will be the end for Smoltz and Maddux also. The reason is that the three of them were such a huge part of baseball in Atlanta during the 1990's. I would really like to see the three of them go into the Hall of Fame together. You will never again see three pitchers of their caliber stay together on the same team for that long again. I promise.
If you are a big baseball fan like me, or just enjoy watching the game from time to time, I hope that you had the opportunity to watch Glavine pitch at some point. He was never the biggest, fastest, or strongest. Tom Glavine is a pro's pro and would be a great role model for anyone.
I'm not a Braves fan, but I certainly am a Tom Glavine fan.
If this is indeed the end of the road for you as a player Tom, thanks for the memories.

No comments: